Simpson United Methodist Church (Fort Wayne, Allen County, Ind.) records
A complete range of record types exists in this collection including membership, administrative, youth, women's and Sunday school records; subject files and newsletters.
- 1866 - 2013
- Simpson United Methodist Church (Fort Wayne, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.
Simpson Methodist Church of Fort Wayne (Allen County, Indiana) was organized June 21, 1866, as Centenary Methodist Epsicopal Church, in a house on Bass Street by Rev. Andrew Wells. In 1877, a building was erected on the corner of Dawson and Harrison. There were 13 charter members. The name was changed to Simpson Methodist Epsicopal and on June 21, 1911, the church moved to 2501 South Harrison Street. In 1954, the education unit with Geyer Chapel was added. In 1966, Evangelical United Brethren and Methodist united to form United Methodist (Simpson). In 1968, the present Sanctuary and Adams Lounge were built. Houses were purchased along Harrison Street. In 1987, the east parking lot was paved and the entire block minus one building belonged to the church. Lots to the north of the Church were purchased for parking. As of 2014, three churches were currently using the buildings: Simpson UMC meeting at 9:30, Iglesia Cristiana Getsemane UMC meeting at 11:30, Christ our Savior-Russian Orthodox Church meeting at 10:00 in the Chapel.
19.06 Cubic Feet (6 document cases; 9 blueprints; 43 volumes; 8 oversize items; 3 audio/video items)
Language of Materials
- Simpson United Methodist Church (Fort Wayne, Ind.) (Depositor, Organization)
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository
Roy O. West Library
405 S. Indiana St.
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States