Chandler United Methodist Church (Chandler, Warrick County, Ind.) records
The collection consists of the church membership records, church organizations records, treasurer's records and a church history. The church membership records from l848-c. l970 include: membership rolls, probationers rolls, class lists, baptisms, marriages, and funerals. The records of church organizations consist mostly of meeting minutes for the church board and the Women's Society of Christian Services. Methodist Episcopal churches included in the Center Circuit record volume are Asbury Chapel, Baker's School House, Brummer's School House, Center Chapel, Corwin Chapel, McConnel's School House, Millersburg, Mount Pleasant, Newark, Thorny Grove, Union Chapel, and Wesley Chapel.
- 1848 - 1970
- Chandler United Methodist Church (Chandler, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University.
In l872, Rev. Lennon began work to build a church in Chandler on a tract of land set aside by William Alexander. During l885, Dr. W. A. Hewins presented his proposition to build a Methodist Church to a quarterly meeting at the old Center Church. He received permission to legally form an organization to build a church in Chandler. When the church was built, in l885, the circuit was known as Center Rockport District. It became the Chandler Circuit in l890. During the building of the original church, the pastor was serving six charges: Center, Union, Mt. Pleasant, Millersburg, Wesley and sometimes Asbury. The Oak Grove Methodist Episcopal Church closed in l968 and Chandler received one of its record books.
0.86 Cubic Feet (2 document cases; 10 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository
Roy O. West Library
405 S. Indiana St.
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States