Methodist Temple United Methodist Church (Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Ind.) records
This collection includes many histories, membership records, trustee records, programs, directories and various other records of The Methodist Temple and its antecedents. It is divided into four series: First German M.E. 1843-1917, Fourth St. M.E. 1917-1937, Bayard Park M.E. 1909-1950, and The Methodist Temple 1950-present. Also included are items found on microfilm only. These items were loaned to the Archives for filming and returned.
- 1950 - 2010
- Methodist Temple United Methodist Church (Evansville, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University.
The Methodist Temple, has evolved from a place of worship established in Evansville in the year 1843. It was in that year a group of German Methodists held their first meetings in a public inn. Explanatory notes accompanying records of that group advise that the innkeeper was converted and became one of the fifteen charter members. In 1844 the first real church for this group was built on Vine Street, the site the same as the old fire station building across the alley from the Courier and Press building.
This German Methodist congregation grew in number and influence. They purchased a lot at the corner of Fourth and Vine streets in 1865 on which a church and parsonage were built. It was known as the Fourth Street M.E. Church and furnished religious inspiration for the congregation until 1937. At that time County officials advised the Official Board and Trustees that the County wanted to buy the buildings, to make them an annex to the County Courthouse. Final services for the Fourth Street M.E. Church were conducted on Palm Sunday, March 21st, 1937. A merger agreement had been reached between the membership of the Fourth Street M.E. Church and the Bayard Park Methodist Church at the time the decision was made to give up the Fourth Street location.
The Bayard Park Methodist Church had been organized by leaders of Trinity Methodist in 1906. Ground was broken for the church building at Blackford and Evans Avenues in September, 1908, with the corner-stone laying ceremony in October of that year. The Bayard Park Methodist Church was dedicated on February 21, 1909.
Purpose of the merger of these two churches in 1937 was to build a new church on a site further east in the city than the Bayard Park Church occupied at that time. The years of World War II delayed the plans as expressed at the time of the merger, until ground was broken for the present Methodist Temple on January 13, 1949. The corner-stone of Methodist Temple was laid on March 20, 1949. The first service was held on Sunday, July 2nd, 1950.
0.86 Cubic Feet (2 document cases)
Language of Materials
- Hailee Newton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script