First United Methodist Church (Bluffton, Wells County, Ind.) records
Collection consists of membership records, Sunday school and board minutes, directories, yearbooks, legal papers, and photographs.
- 1853 - 1988
- First United Methodist Church (Bluffton, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection have been retained by the United Methodist Church.
In November 1838, Rev. George W. Bowers, a circuit rider, preached the first sermon in Bluffton under an Oak tree on the banks of the Wabash River. A religious society was formed and was the beginning of the first Methodist congregation in Bluffton. They met in homes until the first church building was erected on the corner of Cherry and Johnson Streets. A Sunday School was organized in 1843. In 1872 a new church was erected on the corner of Washington & Williams (present site). The First Methodist Church of Bluffton celebrated it's 100th anniversary in 1938 and it's 150th in 1988.
0.86 Cubic Feet (2 document cases, 26 bound volumes)
Language of Materials
- Wesley Wilson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository
Roy O. West Library
405 S. Indiana St.
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States