Chrisney United Methodist Church (Chrisney, Spencer County, Ind.) records
The collection includes board of trustees, history, legal papers, members, Quarterly conference reports, treasurer's reports and records of the Woman's Society of Christian Service. Two volumes include records for: Chrisney, Richland, Cross Roads, and Pigeon Creek churches.
- 1891 - 1990
- Chrisney United Methodist Church (Chrisney, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are retained by the United Methodist Church.
In 1886, Rev. S.J. Shake, pastor of the Gentryville Church began holding services in the school building and organized a Sunday School. Liberal donations from members and friends in the town made it possible to begin a church building the following year. It was dedicated in the summer of 1888. In 1906, lightning struck the belfry and the church burned to the ground. A new, concrete block building was built and dedicated in 1908. The church was again damaged by fire in the spring of 1941, but was redecorated and rededicated on July 27, 1941. On Oct. 5, 1943, fire was discovered on the roof , and in spite of the fire department's efforts, the building was completely destroyed. Work started on a new building in the spring of 1945 and was finished enough for use in June, 1947. It was completed and dedicated on June 5, 1949.
1.415 Cubic Feet (2 document cases of 8 folders, 45 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Wesley Wilson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.