First United Methodist Church (Valparaiso, Porter County, Ind.) records
The collection consists of pictorial directories, Quarterly Conference minutes, proposal for remodeling and additions, a couple of church programs, an alphabetical listing of the members of the First UMC dated 1935 and also a small black book titled "Manual of the First MEC in Valparaiso" dated 1911.
- 1911 - 1990
- First United Methodist Church (Valparaiso, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.
Valparaiso Methodism began in 1835 as a part of the Deep River Mission, serving what is now Porter and Lake Counties. In 1840, the first Methodist society in Valparaiso had 7 members. The first small frame church was built in 1847 and replaced in 1849 by a permanent building. A rapidly growing church required the rental of the YMCA for classroom space while an educational building was being built. In 1969 the congregation moved to a new sanctuary.
0.02 Cubic Feet (1 document case)
Language of Materials
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script