Baker's Chapel United Methodist Church (DeGonia Springs, Warrick County, Ind.) records
The collection contains board meeting minutes, charge conference reports, histories, membership records, officer listings, photographs, pictorial directories, trustees minutes, United Methodist Women/Woman's Society of Christian Service records, and numerous Sunday School records.
- 1902 - 2005
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are retained by the United Methodist Church.
The site of Baker Chapel has been a place of worship since Thomas Baker came daily to pray amidst a cluster of giant oak trees. Baker’s fervent prayer was that a church be built in his community. His prayer was answered and settlers from the neighborhood constructed the church in the 1840’s. As was the custom in those days to name their churches, it was agreed that the church be named after Thomas Baker since he had spent many hours in prayer on this site praying for a church. In 1861 the log structure had become too small and so it was demolished and a second church building was erected in its place. This building was framed but never painted. In 1903, the third church was built. Many improvements were made over the years with the installation of indoor restrooms in 1979 and a 36ft X 83ft addition in 1985. This addition contained Fellowship Hall, a kitchen, five classrooms and restrooms. This structure was erected in much the same way as the original log church, that is, with largely volunteer help from the neighborhood. On April 13, 1985 over 60 volunteers from 10 churches came to lend their talents and share in the “barn raising”. This addition was completed without indebtedness and dedicated to service on Sunday morning, December 15, 1985. This is the church that was so loved and revered by the DeGonia Springs community, with members coming as far away as Rockport. This was also a period of growth for Baker Chapel with attendance reaching from 90-100.It was this church that was ripped down by a tornado on November 6th, 2005. The congregation of the church has remained very steadfast during this loss and continued to meet at various places as a new church was built.
3.1 Cubic Feet (4 document cases, 15 bound volumes, 1 vertical file.)
Language of Materials
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository
Roy O. West Library
405 S. Indiana St.
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States