Skip to main content

First Wayne Street United Methodist Church (Fort Wayne, Allen County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0061

Collection Statement

The collection contains church membership records from 1863 to1991 including baptisms, marriages, deaths, membership transfers, etc. Also included are Administrative Board minutes, Sunday school, Trustees records and various other organizational records from First Wayne United Methodist Church.

Dates

  • 1853 - 1991

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University.

Historical Sketch

First Methodist Church in Fort Wayne Indiana was first established in 1828, making it the oldest church with a continuous history in Fort Wayne. It was founded by the first Methodist couple to move to Fort Wayne, Joseph Holman and his wife, in 1823. A year later, his brother, Rev. James Holman and his wife, moved to town. The first services were held in the couple’s log cabin. The first few years of the fledgling church were difficult because of hostilities with the local natives, but these ceased in the late 1820s. The church has had many locations throughout Fort Wayne as new funds became available and the church itself grew in membership. The Methodist Churches in the area all grew out of First Methodist Church, making it the “mother” of the Methodist church in Fort Wayne.

Extent

3.26 Cubic Feet (4 document cases, 18 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Author
Lyndi Parent
Date
2/10/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States