Skip to main content

South Wayne United Methodist Church (Fort Wayne, Allen County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0013

Collection Statement

The South Wayne UMC collection contains administrative board minutes, various committee minutes, baptismal and membership records, board of trustees minutes, clippings, photographs, directories, local conference minutes and miscellaneous records.

Dates

  • 1919 - 1998

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection have been retained by the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

In the year of 1919 the Church Erection Society of the United Brethren in Christ Church purchased lots at the corner of South Wayne and Nuttman Avenues for a much needed church in that section of the growing city of Fort Wayne. Consequently a group gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Holmes, 536 Kinsmoor Avenue, to organize the new congregation. The Rev. C. H. Bell, retired, and the Rev. J. W. Borkert, minister of the Calvary United Brethren in Christ Church took charge. The Rev. M. K. Richardson was assigned as the first minister. Under his direction a temporary building was erected. It was dedicated January 4, 1920. In eighteen months the congregation outgrew this building and a new building was erected, dedicated on February 14, 1925. The church closed in 2004.

Extent

1.29 Cubic Feet (3 document cases (39 folders), 7 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

See also:

DC 2618 - Museum Object 005.06 YMCA Sunday School Baseball League Trophy 1928-30.

Vertical file contents:

South Wayne United Methodist Church -- (Includes a ministerial list, 1969 clipping celebrating the church's 50th anniversary, and a 1940 flyer and program for a combined South Wayne United Brethren and First Evangelical Church retreat).

Status
Completed
Author
Lyndi Parent
Date
11/17/2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States