Skip to main content

Locust Street Methodist Episcopal Church (Greencastle, Putnam County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0067

Collection Statement

Board minutes, quaterly conference, Bible class records, women's foreign and home missionary societies records.

Dates

  • 1873 - 1924

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

The Locust Street Church was built in 1876 on the southeast corner of Locust and Anderson streets. Locust Street Church continued its career here until 1924 when it merged with College Avenue Methodist Church.

Extent

20 Volume(s) (20 Volumes)

Language of Materials

English

See also:

*Greencastle - Gobin Memorial UMC collection

DC 110, folder 11: Lemuel Murlin - “Church Union--College Ave. and Locust Street”, contains a copy of the Locust Street deed

DC 553, folder 4: Wilbur Kurtz - Board Minutes from Oct. 23 & Nov. 6, 1893 [Microfilm #363]

DC 437: Florence Hall - cornerstone box contents relating to general Meth. Ch. history in Greencastle

Greencastle Banner, June 30, 1881 - “Dedication of Locust M.E. Church... Bishop C.D. Foss of Minneapolis will preach... Lovefeast services will be conducted by Rev. F.C. Inglehart at 3:30 o’clock in the afternoon”... etc.

Greencastle Banner, July 7, 1881 - Opening of Locust Street Church

BX 8248.I6 F78 1989 - From Frontier Circuit to Urban Church: A History of Greencastle Methodism by Clifton Phillips, 1989

Status
Completed
Author
Hailee Newton
Date
2/10/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States