Roberts Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church (Greencastle, Ind.) records
Minutes from Roberts Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church in Greencastle, IN.
- 1847 - 1879
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.
Built in 1847, Roberts Chapel, located at the northwest corner of College and Poplar Streets, was named after Bishop Robert R. Roberts. Roberts Chapel prospered from the start, attracting a larger and larger membership. In 1850, however, a split occurred which was to create the novel situation of two Methodist Episcopal congregations existing side by side in one small community. Simpson Chapel, named for Bishop Matthew Simpson, the 1st president of Indiana Asbury University, was formed due to this split. Both Churches continued to grow and in 1879 the members of Roberts Chapel had to seek more commodious quarters (College Avenue) and sold the chapel to the Presbyterians. The last service of Roberts Chapel was on June 28, 1879.
Language of Materials
- Roberts Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church (Greencastle, Ind.) records Putnam County, Ind.
- In Contentdm
- Hailee Newton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.