Christ United Methodist Church (Hammond, Lake County, Ind.) records
The collection is in five series. The first three represent the different churches and the last two are membership records. Additional records received have been added to the end of the collection. Series I: First Evangelical United Brethren Church (1928-1968) a. C.E. Memorial U.B. b. First U.B. Series II: North Side Evangelical United Brethren Church (1934-65) a. North Side Mission b. North Side U.B. c. Grace E.U.B. Series III: Christ United Methodist Church (1968 - until closing in 1988) Series IV: Membership Records Series V: Baptisms
- 1927 - 1999
- Christ United Methodist Church (Hammond, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.
On January 23, 1927, the first regular service of United Brethren people in Hammond was held in the K. of P. Hall with 35 present. On February 20, 1927, the church was formally organized. On October 11, 1927, property at 165th and Van Buren was purchased from the South Side Christian Church. This location was used until a new church building was built. The congregation moved into the basement of their new building in October 1938. The new building was dedicated April 30, 1939.
In the winter of 1934 Rev. Beauchamp organized a mission church on N. Hohman Avenue. This group, the North Side Mission, held services in a rented store building for several years. In 1943 the North Side Mission, with the help of First Church purchased the property at 4628 N. Hohman Ave. By 1945, it had grown to such an extent that more room was needed. The trustees of First Church voted to erect a basement for the mission church. Much of the interior work was done by the men of the mission with some help from the men of First Church. North Side EUB and Grace EUB are one and the same organization and the names were used interchangeably.
In June 1965, First EUB and Grace EUB merged and the property at 4624, 4626 and 4628 N. Hohman Ave. was sold. In 1968 with the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist merger, the church had a new name, Christ United Methodist Church. It closed in the early 1990's.
Note: The earliest membership record book lists the name of the original church as C. E. Memorial United Brethren. No mention was found as to when it became First United Brethren. Also no mention was found on when the mission church got it's other name, Grace EUB.
5.1 Cubic Feet (7 document cases, 20 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository
Roy O. West Library
405 S. Indiana St.
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States