Grace United Methodist Church (Marion, Ind.) records
The collection contains membership, Sunday School, WFMS, WSCS, Ladies Aid and various other records from Grace UMC. The items are arranged alphabetically by subject.
- 1889 - 2004
- Grace United Methodist Church (Marion, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.
Grace Methodist Church had its beginning in 1888, under the leadership of Rev. A.W. Greenman, who formed the initial organization in 1889. The first building erected at 30th and Gallatin Street, was dedicated February 16, 1890, under the name of The Second Methodist Episcopal Church of Marion. In 1893 the name changed to the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Marion, this name was retained until 1939 when unification of The Methodist Episcopal Church, The Methodist Episcopal Church South, and The Methodist Protestant Church caused the name to be changed to The Grace Methodist Church of Marion. In November 1968 the unification of the United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church caused the name to be changed to The Grace United Methodist Church of Marion. The first parsonage was built in 1908 and was retained until October of 1962, when a two story brick home was purchased at 2118 South Boots Street, to be used as a parsonage. The old parsonage was used as an Annex housing the Primary Department of the Church School until it was dismantled in the spring of 1974. The church closed in November 2004.
0.43 Cubic Feet (1 document case, 5 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Grace United Methodist Church (Marion, Ind.) records Grant County, Ind.
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.