Skip to main content

Central Avenue United Methodist Church (Indianapolis, Marion County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0082

Collection Statement

The collection consists of Board of Trustees minutes, Quarterly Conference minutes, Sunday school records, United Methodist Women records and minutes, membership records, blueprints, legal records, clippings, historical records, photographs, audiotape cassettes and numerous other miscellaneous records. Files received in 2006 (M006.042) are arranged in alphabetical order as they were received.

Dates

  • 1861 - 1979

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

Central Avenue Methodist Church was established in 1877 out of a merger of North Street / Trinity and Massachusetts Avenue Methodist Episcopal Churches in Indianapolis. The building that had housed the Massachusetts Avenue congregation, affectionately known as Pine Knots due to its rugged construction, was literally rolled on logs from to its new location at Central Avenue and 12th Street. This location was in the northernmost “suburbs” of Indianapolis, which would become known as The Old Northside. Reuben Andrus preached the first sermon in the church on June 17, 1877. The Romanesque Revival styled structure was built of red brick trimmed with Indiana limestone. During the pastorate of Orien W. Fifer (1917-1927) Central Avenue church was noted for its involvement with the Social Gospel Movement and was directly involved with improving conditions within the community. Central Avenue Methodist Church also was instrumental in founding the Wheeler Rescue Mission for the poor. In 2006 Central Avenue merged with another historic downtown church, Lockerbie UMC to become Lockerbie Central UMC.

Extent

20.355 Cubic Feet (25 document cases, 55 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Author
Lyndi Parent
Date
2/10/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States