Skip to main content

Bethesda, First and Sandford United Methodist Churches (Vigo County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0159

Collection Statement

The collection consists of Bethesda records: Conference reports and members; First UMC records: Conference reports, correspondence; financial reports; membership records; Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF); Official Board reports; Sandford records: MYF; Official Board reports; conference reports; Sunday School Record; Women's Society of Christian Service (WSCS) records; legal papers; membership records; West Terre Haute First records: Sunday School; Official Board minutes; check registers; WSCS records. Churches included on the Sandford circuit include Pisgah.

Dates

  • 1927 - 1972

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

The first Methodist meeting was held in 1897 in the home of Dr. Richard Belt. It was led by the pastor from Sandford, and many members had belonged to the Bethesda Class. On February 20, 1898, this small group became the West Terre Haute Methodist Episcopal Church. A building was dedicated in January 1900. In 1967, it was decided that Bethesda and the First Methodist Episcopal Church would share the same minister.

Extent

0.86 Cubic Feet (2 document cases, 11 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Author
Lyndi Parent
Date
2/10/2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States