Skip to main content

First United Methodist Church (Terre Haute, Vigo County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0162

Collection Statement

The collection contains administrative board minutes 1972-87, board of trustees records 1940-69, Council on Ministries records 1980-90, directories 1912-89, histories, membership records, photographs, property records, UMW records and various other records of the church.

Dates

  • 1891 - 1990

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

This church is a union of Kent Avenue and Evangelical and the First United Brethren in Christ Churches.

Evangelical Church history in Terre Haute had its beginning as far back as 1852, when visiting ministers would stop and preach in various homes. But in April 1881 it became a regular preaching appointment for Reverend J. Young. This new congregation met in a hall at the corner of 9th and Wabash for eight months. A church was built in 1907 on a lot at 9th and Walnut. In 1912 a new church was built on a new and better location at the corner of Kent Avenue and Chestnut Streets. Its dedication was on June 21-23, 1912.

United Brethren Church was established as a member of Lower Wabash Conference in 1865, by Reverend W. M. Givens. Ground work had been laid by Reverend J. F. Moore who held services in different parts of the city. In the spring of 1866 a small frame church was built in the center of a corn field on a lot on the corner of 14th & Chestnut Streets, where the present church now stands. In 1892, this building was replaced by a brick one under Reverend J. B. Connett’s pastorate. Seventeen years later, fire destroyed this building and the present building was built under the pastorate of Reverend L. O. Blake.

Kent Avenue and First Church were in the same community almost side by side. In 1964, the Kent Avenue people, sensing the leading of God’s spirit, approached First Church and proposed a merger. After much prayer this merger took place on July 5, 1964. The new congregation (690) took on a new life and vision, and could serve the community better than before.

The name then became The First Evangelical United Brethren Church. After the union of the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Churches in 1968, it was named First United Methodist Church. A separate church, Northside Community, formed in 1996 and merged with First UMC in 2000. The church is now known as Northside Community UMC.

Extent

1.29 Cubic Feet (3 document cases, 72 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Author
Lyndi Parent
Date
2/10/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States