Skip to main content

First United Methodist Church (Washington, Daviess County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2010-0168

Collection Statement

The collection consists of Epworth League, official board, Sunday school, quarterly conference, Women's Foreign Missionary Society and Women's Society of Christian Service.

Dates

  • 1839 - 1956

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

In 1816, the Methodist Episcopal Church of Washington had its beginning. A small group of John Wesley followers met in the home of Samuel Miller. In 1827 a small brick church was built. Following a couple of splits, a larger frame church was built in 1858. In 1886 the membership was about 285 and the Society was extremely prosperous. Through the years, the church has continued to grow and expand its programs and facilities.

Extent

0.215 Cubic Feet (1 document case, 21 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Author
Lyndi Parent
Date
2/10/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
11 East Larrabee Street
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States