Skip to main content

Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church (Terre Haute, Vigo County, Ind.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LOC-2009-0049

Collection Statement

The collection includes Official Board and members records, minutes, treasurer and finance reports, improvement fund information, and Woman's Society of Christian Service history and minutes.

Dates

  • 1925 - 1973
  • Majority of material found within 1950 - 1973

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are retained by the United Methodist Church.

Historical Sketch

Centenary Methodist saw a need for a mission in the area of Fourth Street and the railroad. In October, 1884 the first service was held. A new church, named Mattox Chapel, was built and dedicated January 23, 1889. It was named after the donor of the lot and her daughter. In 1905-07 a church at 6 1/2 Street and Fourth Avenue was built. The official name was changed from Mattox Chapel to the Fourth Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church. The church reached its peak during the time 1919-23 when membership reached 1094. The mortgage was paid and subsequently burned February 15, 1948. In July, 1963 the name was again changed to the Fourth Avenue Methodist Chruch. That same year a motion was carried that opened the church's door to all races for membership. In April, 1968, the name again changed to the Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church. During the 1960s, it became apparent that Fourth Avenue and the Locust Street Evangelical United Brethren Church were duplicating much of their work. With unification in 1968 the friendship became more formal. Many programs were shared and gradually talk of a merger developed. On June 1, 1970 the merger of the two churches was completed with the new congregation to be known as the Grace United Methodist Church. The Fourth Avenue building was sold in April, 1971 to the Church of God.

Extent

0.43 Cubic Feet (1 document case of 9 folders, 9 volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Author
Wesley Wilson
Date
11/23/2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism Repository

Contact:
Roy O. West Library
405 S. Indiana St.
Greencastle Indiana 46135 United States