Central United Methodist Church (Richmond, Wayne County, Ind.) records
The collection consists of history, Official Board, pictorial booklets, programs, Quarterly Conference reports, and West Main St. Extension Project, Woman's Home Missionary Society and Woman's Society of Christian Service minutes.
- 1838 - 1998
- Central United Methodist Church (Richmond, Ind.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Copyright interests for this collection are retained by the United Methodist Church.
The first recorded Methodist meeting held in Richmond, Indiana was in 1819, held in a small log cabin on Front Street. It was not until 1823 that Russell Bigelow preached the first Methodist sermon and organized the first class. Until 1838, when they erected a small frame building, several locations served for meeting places. When membership outgrew this location, a commodious brick building was constructed on Pearl Street. The church grew until it had a membership of 300 people when dissension arose over seating women on one side and men on the other. In 1926 First Methodist Episcopal and Grace Methodist Episcopal united. In 1939, when changes were made in Methodism, the church became Central Methodist Church. A new sanctuary was consecrated in 1958.
0.645 Cubic Feet (2 document cases of 17 folders, 41 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Lyndi Parent
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script